• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'New' Normal
What are the big changes to social norms which people think will effect their typcial way of doing business / operrational activity?
As a film production company we're obviously experiencing a massive impact on the way we do business. There's no doubt that social distancing rules are going to continue well into 2021 (I feel a bit sick writing that but need to face up to reality) which means the option of sending out film crews (particularly to at high risk individuals - we make a lot of patient films) or producing films at big events / conferences is going to be tricky if at all possible. So we're coming up with ways we can continue to create content remotely. People still need to communicate with their employees, clients and customers so we just need to develop new, engaging ways for them to do that. Hard but doable!
Yeah we are finding the same.  Most of our daily activity was meeting and supporting people in person, now we are doing lots of Zoom meetings, telephone calls and online videos via our social media channels.

I'm even rebuilding our website!!

Cool
[Image: RainbowBiz_Email_Footer.jpeg]
Biggest change for me is not going to see customers and having that face to face contact - which is part of the job that I love! Unfortunately I cannot see that situation changing for some time, which has meant that Zoom and other freebie software (which will no doubt become chargeable soon) have become the go to solution.
Also working on a virtual tour of our factory and meet the team, as this is the part that stands us out from the other signage companies!
(05-05-2020, 01:52 PM)John French - FUSE Events Wrote: What are the big changes to social norms which people think will effect their typcial way of doing business / operrational activity?
We are a Social Enterprise business infrastructure organisation and have been very focussed on meeting people face to face.
We could chat with 2 metres distance, but travel was hard to justify and we like to use public transport when possible. I think the changes are largely a speeding up of changes already underway - more on line communication, trading etc. but there could be a change in the business type and employment structure. Businesses will be closing and rebuilding the economy should put Social, Cooperative and other Solidarity enterprises higher on the regeneration agenda.
Before the lock-down and physical distancing restrictions, we were already in the process of setting up an on line marketplace for social enterprises, https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/social-ent...arketplace
But now we are starting to create more on-line training and advice services and planning Entrepreneur Forums on line and trying to find capacity and skills to do this well.
I am concerned that isolation and poorer communication will result (as big money and algorithms drive communicative processes) and Brexit remains a further economic threat.
Hi 
This is really interesting. We've been exploring interactive strategy workshops (via Zoom and socially distanced) and been using the Strategy Triage Tool to identify (crucially as a team) the extent the mission and/or the route to achieving it has changed.  Been a really useful process for us as a social enterprise, but also developed it as a business training offer.  Let me know if you'd like me to share.
Take care
Rebecca
(05-13-2020, 10:34 AM)michelle.york Wrote: Biggest change for me is not going to see customers and having that face to face contact - which is part of the job that I love!  Unfortunately I cannot see that situation changing for some time, which has meant that Zoom and other freebie software (which will no doubt become chargeable soon) have become the go to solution. 
Also working on a virtual tour of our factory and meet the team, as this is the part that stands us out from the other signage companies!
Hi Michelle interested in your virtual factory tour and meet the team I can see you are a signage company but can I ask what demographic your employees come from and how you will do the virtual tour, app software used etc
thanks 
Chris
As an organisation that provides hands-on events for autistic children in public buildings, there's really not much we can do. We expect to be one of the last activities to be un-locked. We're therefore looking at ways to bring the benefits of our organisation to families at home by becoming a purchasing and mailing house for relevant activities, books etc. Meanwhile, we have boxes and boxes of trains in storage and unusable. ;(

Richard

--
Richard Semmens
Engine Shed - South London
www.engineshedlondon.com
engineshedlondon@gmail.com
We all work from home anyway (Evenbreak employs disabled people who all work flexible hours from home), but we do sometimes have face-to-face meetings and attend or host events, so that is different. I'm an optimist by nature, and I think that working from home will become much more commonplace, which will open up employment opportunities for disabled people.
The biggest obstacle for us is undoubtedly social distancing, we sell end of line sportswear and equipment through ebay. 2/3rds of our workforce has physical or mental disabilities, some are in the highly vulnerable category. Our 3000 sq ft warehouse is full and our packing lines are very compact. Our the majority of our staff are at home. We have not furloughed them but continue to pay them in full. We have been on a fast growth curve for the last 3 years with turnover nearly doubling each year. We added some new stock lines just prior to Coronavirus using SITR investment from Resonance and the last two months has seen the monthly sales at least double, which is great but despatching more than twice the product with a third of the staff brings other challenges. If social distancing in the workplace is required long term we will need a second warehouse close to our current one. We have even considered portable packing areas in the car parking area but this is unrealistic for a number of reasons, unpredictable weather, time to set up each day, etc. The problems we face are nicer to deal with than those faced by others and we will maintain our social impact by continuing to pay all our employees in full. 
There are many different perspectives to view life from at the moment and we should not be too quick to judge. We are all in the same storm but not all in the same boat. It looks like some of the new measures, social distancing in particular will be around for a long while, getting our guys safely back to work looks some way off.
If anyone needs sportswear for their exercise regime check out our stores
1) search Sofab Sports in google and follow the link to our main ebay store from there
2) if american sports are your thing search american sportswear uk in google and our ebay store is the one in all capitals
hope you all get through this safely and I meet some of you once its over